What causes mold to grow in your house?

Mold is normally present everywhere, outdoors and indoors, usually invisible to an eye. It serves its natural role outdoors by breaking down fallen leaves and old trees. Mold spores float in the air thriving on moist and humidity. On the other hand, when present indoors in increased concentration, the mold is a danger to the health of everyone living in that space, as well as to property items. Mold spores float in the air and land on various humid surfaces. If conditions are convenient, the mold is capable of growing colonies rapidly all over the place, becoming visible and cause damage. Some of the aspects mold spores look for to grow to include dark, humid and warm places with a source of food nearby, such as wood, cellulose, cotton, drywall. Mold requires enough oxygen, and it usually takes one or two days before it starts growing obviously. Mold colonies can’t survive low temperatures or ultraviolet light.

Why is mold such a problem?

Once mold grows indoors significantly, it produces allergens, irritants, mycotoxins and unpleasant odor. These features irritate the respiratory system, eyes and skin and people often develop various symptoms, such as sneezing, coughing, troubles breathing, asthma attacks, rashes, headaches, dizziness and many others. At the same time, mold colonies are capable of destroying wooden items, clothes, fabric, furniture and other property goods. Odor and discoloration on ceilings are common signs of mold presence. Since all of this can cause serious health and structural damage, prevention of mold growth is the thing to do. Here’s a brief overview of common conditions stimulating mold growth you should take care of inside your home.

Humidity in all forms stimulates mold growth

The most intensive growth of mold colonies is always near to some water source. The most common places indoors include low-lying areas of the house, such as the basement and other areas that easily get wet during rainy days or floods. Ceiling is another are where mold is commonly found if the roof is leaking. The increased level of moisture in the air may wet wooden walls and cause fungus to grow here too. The most susceptible places are the kitchen sink, bathrooms, basements, ceilings, as well as any place where plumbing pipes are leaking.

Condensation and poor ventilation

Poor ventilation, deficiency of daily light and condensation are stimulating conditions for growth of mold colonies. Cold metal pipes are the most common areas that create condensation and premises with present steam, such as bathroom or kitchen, should be intensively ventilated.